More Like Falling in Love



Everybody loves to be in love. That dopamine high, the letters, the risks, the day-dreaming. Everybody has gone through that step in life, and it is one of the most beautiful. We often think about all the crazy things we do when we are in love, and the stuff we use to think. We spend hours talking or texting that person, we can’t wait to see her/him, we think about that person everyday, every moment. People think we are insane or stupid. And that’s ok. Falling in love make us stupid sometimes.

That being said, the question is: Have you fallen in love with Jesus?

There are two types of people surrounding that question: the ones who see the concept as stupid, and the ones (90%+ women), who forget about anything else that surrounds Jesus, just to focus on the “falling in love” part. To the latters: No. Jesus is not your boyfriend. He is more than that. Jesus is your Savior and Lord. Yes, He will be the Husband of the Church in Heaven, but you can’t focus only in the emotionalism of faith...If you do, you are not focusing on faith at all! To the first guys: you are wrong. Falling in love with Jesus, is one of the most amazing love stories you can get involved. It is worth the fight, because it is a love that surpasses any romantic feeling, any child’s hug, any mother’s kiss. Is a love that defines History itself, Life itself.

Jesus talks something about it, but without calling it “falling in love with Him”:

15 If you love me, obey my commandments. (John 14:15, NLT)

“What? You telling me that falling in love with Jesus is not feeling like I want to kiss Jesus, neither getting in Bethel-Music-Worship mode? Are you telling me that falling in love with Jesus is more than that?” Yes: Falling in love with Jesus, involves obedience.

It is funny how God wanted to show us that love for our Savior is shown by obedience. The most of the times, we, the ones who claim to be saved by His Grace, are the ones who are grudgingly, trying to obey some of His commandments. We are the ones who raise our hands and sing along the emotion-filled songs of Hillsong, and monday mornings neglect the very things He told us to do. It doesn’t matter how “filled of the Holy Spirit” you look on Sunday mornings,

24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. (John 14:24, NLT)

It is harsh! We love God because He loved us first, giving His Son to us, to die in our place, even when we were enemies of God; when we were still sinners...Because of that sacrifice, our hearts can actually feel. But even thou, besides that, we fail to understand what it means to love Jesus...Jesus Himself even calls out one of the Revelation churches about it! They forgot their first love!

Do you actually remember what do you felt when you fell in love for the first time? Do you remember that first kiss, that first hug? Those first months? Do you remember the effort you made to know that person, to make her/him feel special, how you strived to become one with that person? What about the time Jesus saved you? Do you remember the hours on your knees actually praying? Do you remember the songs of gratitude flowing from your tongue like a swift scribe pen? Do you remember the hours you spent studying the Bible, going to church, absorbing like a sponge, everything about Him, but most importantly: obeying each and every letter of what He said? That’s what I’m talking about: it is not about feeling tingly things in my stomach when I listen to Oceans, it is not about not feeling anything trying not to look like some charismatic brethren. It is about realizing what Jesus Christ has done for me and for you! He died for US! He saved US from our SINS! We are in PEACE with GOD because of HIM! He transformed us into new creatures!

There’s a song that is named like the title. The singer is Jason Gray. He sings that what he doesn’t go by rules, lines, or conduct codes. He lives by a living truth, a truth that gives him actual life and purpose. He names it Jesus. And he describes how it looks like to live that live; the Christian life looks like falling in love with a person: investing, looking for, sacrificing yourself for the sake of that person, denying yourself.

I WANT to fall in love with Jesus again, like that year 2012, when I could see open skies and His cloud of Grace hovering over me. I WANT to fall in love with Jesus again, like those moments when with no effort (thanks to grace) I could defeat my biggest sin and fear. I WANT to fall in love with Jesus again, not because of what people could say...but for the sake of my soul, my peace, my heart. Yes, I want to feel that high of looking for Him, getting excited every time I’m going to pray, counting the hours to get the Bible in my hands...to give my time, my energy and self to Him…

That’s a love story worth living for.

Comentarios

Entradas populares